The Optune system
Optune is small and lightweight, at just 2.7 pounds.1
Optune system components
The complete system includes a portable electric field generator, transducer arrays, rechargeable batteries, and more.
Electric field generator
The portable field generator can be carried with you to generate Tumor Treating Fields (TTFields) as you go about your day.
Sterile, single-use transducer arrays are connected to the electric field generator to deliver therapy. Transducer arrays should be changed at least 2 times per week (every 4 days at most).
Connection cable and box
Black and white coded sockets on the cable box help ensure that transducer arrays are properly connected.
Easy-access sleeve bag
Openings conveniently located at the top and bottom make it easy to reach device controls.
Convertible, 5-in-1 bag
This bag can be worn 5 different ways and has additional battery storage, making it ideal for on-the-go use.
cable and box
Designed for enhanced carrying comfort and usability:
- Easy-grip texture allows for excellent handling
- Battery indicator displays power and alerts patients when it’s time to change the battery
- Light-detecting sensor auto-dims the device and the charger in the dark
Other components include2:
- Portable batteries: 4 batteries are provided with each kit; each battery lasts for 2 to 3 hours
- Charger for portable batteries: Batteries will need to be recharged for 2 to 4 hours. The batteries can be charged and used many times for about 6 to 9 months
- Plug-in power supply and power cords: New “No-Stop Swap” enables patients to swap batteries or power source without disrupting delivery of TTFields
TTFields, Tumor Treating Fields.
- Kinzel A, Ambrogi M, Varshaver M, Kirson ED. Tumor treating fields for glioblastoma treatment: patient satisfaction and compliance with the second-generation Optune® system. Clin Med Insights Oncol. 2019;13:1179554918825449. doi: 10.1177/1179554918825449
- Optune patient information and operation manual. 2019. QSD-QR-704. REV 05.
Learn more below
Indications for Use
Optune is intended as a treatment for adult patients (22 years of age or older) with histologically-confirmed glioblastoma multiforme (GBM).
Optune with temozolomide is indicated for the treatment of adult patients with newly diagnosed, supratentorial glioblastoma following maximal debulking surgery, and completion of radiation therapy together with concomitant standard of care chemotherapy.
Important Safety Information
Do not use Optune in patients with an active implanted medical device, a skull defect (such as, missing bone with no replacement), or bullet fragments. Use of Optune together with implanted electronic devices has not been tested and may theoretically lead to malfunctioning of the implanted device. Use of Optune together with skull defects or bullet fragments has not been tested and may possibly lead to tissue damage or render Optune ineffective.
Do not use Optune in patients that are known to be sensitive to conductive hydrogels. In this case, skin contact with the gel used with Optune may commonly cause increased redness and itching, and rarely may even lead to severe allergic reactions such as shock and respiratory failure.
Warnings and Precautions
The most common (≥10%) adverse events involving Optune in combination with temozolomide were thrombocytopenia, nausea, constipation, vomiting, fatigue, medical device site reaction, headache, convulsions, and depression.
If the patient has an underlying serious skin condition on the scalp (e.g. ulcers, open wound, broken skin) evaluate whether this may prevent or temporarily interfere with Optune treatment.
Use of Optune in patients with an inactive implanted medical device in the brain has not been studied for safety and effectiveness, and use of Optune in these patients could lead to tissue damage or lower the chance of Optune being effective.
Do not prescribe Optune for patients that are pregnant, you think might be pregnant or are trying to get pregnant, as the safety and effectiveness of Optune in these populations have not been established.
Optune can only be prescribed by a healthcare provider that has completed the required certification training provided by Novocure (the device manufacturer).
Please click here to see the Optune Instructions for Use (IFU) for complete information regarding the device’s indications, contraindications, warnings and precautions.